Friday, February 14, 2014

Pauline B. Waters

My mother passed away in Feburary 2004 three days after my dad. It was the day of his funeral and it was going to be in the afternoon and she died around 10:00 a.m..

They had been married 62 years and in would have been 63 years.

When we were there in December she had told my dad that she was ready to go home and as she had Alzheimer's he thought that she was confused and didn't think that she knew where she was because she was at their home and many time she didn't know where she was. She looked at my dad and said not this home but that home pointing upward. She was ready for the eternal home, dad said can you hold on a little while and she replied that yes she could.

It was like she just knew that he was gone and she willed herself to go to. We had both together in the same room for her viewing and they were both in the Chapel for her funeral. They would have loved hearing the grandchildren sing at their funeral, I don't know how they did it but it was what they would have wanted.

They were both laid to rest at the Graveyard on Jefferson Rd. beside each other, just like they had stood beside each other for 62 years.

My mother was the middle child of five children, and she grew up in a big city and it was a change to come and live in a small town I'm sure.

I had an Uncle that told a story about my mother when she first came to Commerce, and several times per week she was wanting to serve a meat with her meal and he told her, Polly, this is a small town not the big city and here we are lucky if we get meat on Sunday. Some how she adjusted to a small town and we enjoyed growing up in a community of family and friends.

My dad's mother our Grandmother would go with my mother when she collected for the store. In the country area there were plenty of dirt roads with wooden bridges and some were even covered bridges.
Before my Grandmother would let my mother drive across the bridge, she would make my mother get out and walk across the bridge and back to the car before she would ride over the bridge in the car. I always thought that this was so funny because she wasn't very bid and the car with us in it, it's weight was always more. But she knew that she was satisfied and then she would let her drive over the bridge. Some roads may have several bridges on it and she would do this on every bridge.


No comments:

Post a Comment