Saturday, April 12, 2014

Memorizing A Poem


My dad, one year when he went to Commerce Grade School his teacher told the class that they needed to learn a poem overnight.

The next day when he went to class he remembered that he was supposed to have learned a poem, when he heard the little girl in front of him struggling to learn hers.

She was saying it over and over quietly trying to get it in her mind...,

Upon hearing her repeat the poem about five times my dad raised his hand to let the teacher know that he was ready to come to the front of the class to say his poem.

Here is the poem he learned that morning:

I never saw a purple cow,
And I hope I never see one.
But I can tell you anyhow,
I'd rather see than be one.

The little girls spoke out in class and said, "That's my poem!" To which he replied thanks for helping me learn it. 

Palmer Waters

No comments:

Post a Comment