Wednesday, March 2, 2016

In Memory Of My Mother


Mother bring me home from the hospital and my big sister seeing me for the first time.

In memory of my mother, Sara Juanita Waters Shippey who would have been 70 years old today. I hear her voice in my head so often. I have used the guidance she taught me all my life. I can hear her playing the accordion out on the deck in the wee hours of the morning, still. I can remember a time I made her cry and to this day I feel awful I did. But, I can remember her forgiveness and her constant love. I'm glad we were an affectionate family for there are times when I can remember her hugs and feel the warmth yet again. The pain of her loss has lessened over time because I've come to understand why God called her early. How she would love her grandchildren!! So proud of them. So proud of her son for all his accomplishments. I imagine if she were living she and Dad would have traveled the world over by now. This morning, what I remember most was her faith in God. She loved Truth, our fellowship meetings, singing the hymns. Most mornings I would see her sitting in her living room chair....knee highs with knit bootee socks Grandma would make us with her sweatpants stuck inside them...her pj's...sometimes shirt inside out...and a blanket wrapped all around her as she would be reading her bible...or kneeling over the ottoman praying. She was a powerful influence in my life. And, over the years I come to realize the influence she had in other peoples lives., as well. Remember the school plays she would have her kids perform? Her walks around the school with the kids mimicking her every move. The stories she would tell us of "funnies" the students would say. I remember after her death cleaning out her classroom and just sitting and crying on the floor not wanting to pack up. The reality of her death hit so strong. Yet, the memories of all the beautiful times flooding my head. I didn't have my mother for very long in life. She died at the young age of 47. I'll be 47 this year. But, she made an impression on my youthful heart and spirit that I am so very grateful for. One of her favorite hymns from our hymn book is title A Tender Heart. "Give me a heart that's tender true...." "Take out the stony heart, take out the bitterness: Give me a gracious heart that's full of tenderness, A heart that understands, that will not fret or pine: Give me a tender heart- a heart like thine."...and one verse in particular "I want to feel the pain my neighbors often know And lend a helping hand if he be friend or foe. I want to share the loss in every weal or woe And have a tender heart, wherever I go." I think she had this kind of heart. She loved people. She told me one time she didn't know if she could "want to feel the pain her neighbors often know" but she wanted God to work with her heart so that she would be willing for such. I think she had a wonderful heart. But, then again, she was my special Mom. Her kindnesses inspire me to be kind. Her own heart encourages me to this day from her own heart. The loss of a loved one is just plum...hard. But, memories of that loved one feed us when we need them and warm us to continue on. She would often tell us children before we would leave the house to go spend time with friends, "You are our children, but remember whose you are." Love while yet you can be loved. And when the arms of that loved one are no longer available, love the memories that can be loved. - I just felt a need to share. Love to all! Those who knew her, I hope you have special memories of her as well.

Written By: Annette Shippey Whitley

No comments:

Post a Comment